The Green Jobs Illawarra initiative commenced in 2009 and the project was concluded in 2013. However, this has not be the conclusion of Illawarra 'Green' initiatives, with the Australian Government funding the Low Income Energy Efficiency Project and a total funding pool of $2.3m achieved. This project is covered in Energy + Integration here.
Green job initiatives undertaken during the original project include:
- Environmentally sustainable Green Street showcasing sustainable living initiatives
- Sustainability retrofit of iconic buildings throughout the Illawarra
- Transformed manufacturing and engineering sectors
- New education and skills training opportunities
- New industry sectors and employment opportunities
- A community that is engaged and active in environmentally sustainable initiatives.
The full Green Jobs Illawarra report can be downloaded here.