RDA Illawarra and regional stakeholders collaborate to develop Regional Plans to drive economic development initiatives.
There are several Illawarra Regional Plans of significance:
1) Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Plan
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Plan 2041, which was released in May 2021, which provides a strategic vision and direction for how we will plan for the region’s future housing, jobs, infrastructure, and a healthy environment. It is a 20-year land use plan prepared for the local government areas of Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama and Shoalhaven.
RDA Illawarra considers the Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Plan is consistently aligned with the six key regional priorities of the Federal Government, which are:
- Connectivity and Infrastructure incorporating digital connectivity, transport links, and freight and supply chain infrastructure.
- Human Capital and Skills to provide skilled and adaptable workforces, Regional Universities and training, and schooling.
- Regional Employment and Business to develop regional businesses and industry, local R&D and innovation and a strategic regional vision.
- Leadership and Collaboration by investing in regional leadership, capable local government and the Indigenous community.
- Amenity and Liveability providing services, facilities and liveability, and support for local priorities.
- Sustainable Natural Resources to build future resilience, ensure sustainable foundations and provide economic opportunities and jobs.
RDA Illawarra looks forward to working with regional stakeholders on the implementation of the plan, especially those areas aligned with activation of regionally significant employment precincts to support new and innovative economic enterprises.
Illawarra-Shoalhaven Regional Plan 2041 (May 2021), NSW Government, DPIE, here
2) RDA Illawarra Regional Plan 2013-2020
3) Transition Illawarra
4) Regional Economic Development Strategies by Local Government
Local governments have developed Regional Economic Development Strategy documents, as follows:
- Shellharbour Regional Economic Development Strategy 2019-2022
- Kiama Regional Economic Development Strategy 2019-2022
- Wollongong Regional Economic Development Strategy 2019-2029 (Draft)