TOURISM, ARTS & CULTURE
RDA Illawarra recognises the many regional assets that make the Illawarra an ideal place to live and visit. Our geographic position, physical beauty and proximity to Sydney all place us in an important position as a preferred tourism destination.
Here at RDA Illawarra, we are very proud of our region which boasts many assets that make it an ideal place to live and visit. Our geographic position, stunning physical beauty and close proximity to Sydney all place us in an important position as a preferred tourism destination.
TOURISM & CULTURE IN THE ILLAWARRA
The beautiful Illawarra region boasts numerous beaches, pristine bushland, picturesque rural villages, and a diverse range of cultural experiences. The region is easily accessible by road and rail, and also has a number of harbours for pleasure craft. A variety of accommodation options can be offered from inexpensive hostel and backpacker accommodation and family friendly caravan and camping options, to quality hotels and motels.
Want to know more about how we are showcasing our beautiful region? Are you involved in cultural events within the community? Get in touch with us so we can discuss Tourism & Culture in the Illawarra!
ARTS IN THE ILLAWARRA
The Illawarra region also features a diverse artistic community, with strong participation in arts and culture endeavours, enriched by a blend of heritages from countries around the world and our own Indigenous communities.
Supported by a wide range of music and dance schools, performance venues, galleries and arts practitioners, Arts in the Illawarra has great potential for economic diversification. Purpose-built venues with the ability to host major events seating up to 10,000 concertgoers allows the region to attract major tours to the region, while the forth-coming development of Wollongong University’s Faculty of Creative Arts at Gleniffer Brae, and its links with the Wollongong Conservatorium of Music, will strengthen cultural development in the region.
Would you like to know more about Arts in the Illawarra? Are you an Artistic venue? Want to know more about how we are working towards strengthening cultural development in our region? Give us a call, we’d love to hear from you!
HOW RDA ILLAWARRA IS STRENGTHENING TOURISM, ARTS & CULTURE
We recognise the value of tourism, arts and culture as a key industry in our region and will continue to champion initiatives that promote our Illawarra region as a preferred place to holiday, do business, facilitate cultural awareness, and to raise a family.
- Promote Illawarra as a preferred conference and events destination
- Host national and regional conferences and events
- Lobby for the necessary infrastructure required to support tourism in the region
- Develop innovative ways to promote the region to both the domestic and international markets.
- Look at ways to develop creative arts-based industries, including the development of strategic programs to assist practitioners develop a more business-oriented focus.
WHAT WE HOPE TO ACHIEVE
- Increased national and international profile of the Illawarra as a place to visit, work, and live
- Emergence of innovative new tourism businesses
- More diversified economy with less reliance on traditional industry sectors
- Increased employment opportunities, particularly for young people.
CURRENT TOURISM, ARTS & CULTURE PROJECTS
Our Deputy Chair, Roger Summerill, chairs the Sub-Committee on Tourism, Arts and Culture. Current projects that fall within this priority include:
- Kiama Harbour Precinct
- Upgrade to the Wollongong Convention & Exhibition Centre (WIN Entertainment Centre)
- Cultural Industry Development